You spoke up, and we listened! Many Action subscribers have reached out this year to let us know that some of their students still need additional scaffolding to fully access our lower-level texts. This got us thinking: How could we create a tool to build knowledge and prepare struggling readers for stories that require stamina and confidence?
And so the idea for our Background Builder slideshow was born! This short slideshow will accompany our Nonfiction Feature every month going forward. It lays out the information a student needs to dive into a more complex text with aplomb. It’s presented simply, chronologically, and with plenty of visual support. Plus, it’s got audio read-aloud capability for every slide! We hope it will:
- build background knowledge and historical context
- introduce students to cross-curricular concepts
- reinforce important vocabulary and terms
- allow students to go at their own pace
- prepare students to tackle the lower-level or on-level text